Alix was originally named Toddsville after Joseph Todd who first came to the area in the spring of 1900 from Michigan, USA. The original quarter, which the Todds homesteaded, eventually became the site of the Village of Alix.
The Village of Alix was officially incorporated on June 3rd, 1907. As Canadian Pacific Railway was established in the area, the President of the Canadian Pacific Railway, Sir William Van Horne, changed the name to Alix, after the first white woman settler in the area, Mrs. Alexia Westhead.
Alix was also home to Dr. Irene Parlby, who in 1921 was appointed Minister Without Portfolio when she was elected to the Provincial Government. She is one of the "Famous Five", captured in the sculpture of that name, honoring women who gave outstanding leadership and service to the Province of Alberta.
Alix was also home to the "Sargeant Sisters." Lisa and Kristy Sargeant started their skating careers in Alix. Kristy competed in the 'pairs' event in both the 1994 and 1998 Olympics, and Lisa was the 1990 Canadian National Champion.
Recreation abounds in the Village and surrounding area. Sports and fitness enthusiasts enjoy the Arena, Agricultural Grounds ball diamonds, Gymkhana arena, English riding circuit and jumping, a 9 hole golf course and a 6 km hiking trail around Alberta’s best kept secret, Alix Lake.
The school provides quality education from Kindergarten to Grade 12.
Lakeview Manor offers affordable senior housing and the Alix Drop-In Centre provides fellowship and activities.
Local businesses, financial institutions, and professional services provide for the needs of the community. See the business section of the website for a full business listing,
Alix has seen many changes since becoming a Village in 1907. With a population of approximately 850, it continues to change and grow today, while continuing to preserve its small town charm.